Friday, April 26, 2013

Comments4Teachers #4

For C4T #4, I was assigned the same teacher I was assigned previously for C4T #2, David Warlick and his blog 2cents Worth of Seeking the Sakabuku. For post #1, I read So What is Plagiarism? posted on April 2, 2013. This post was about an upcoming national summit to discuss and officially decide what plagiarism is exactly and produce “a practical set of recommendations for combating and dealing with plagiarism and fabrication.” The National Summit on Plagiarism and Fabrication was to begin on April 5. I thought this was an awesome idea that should have been done years ago. I spent most of my high school career trying to figure out how to please my teachers when writing my papers because no one could efficiently answer the many questions I had about plagiarism. I commented:

Hello David,

I think that is fantastic! All through high school, my teachers would try and mostly fail at trying to explain plagiarism. It is such a difficult question to answer. One of my teachers even made an extremely detailed PowerPoint and took up 3 days of our class time to explain plagiarism. At the end of our second paper he said he wanted to pull his hair out because many students still didn’t get it and had basically just copied almost the entire paper. I think an official decision needs to be made with legitimate suggestions and ways to explain it.

Thank you for your post. It would be great to have an update on what comes out of the summit.

You can find me on twitter @KatelynLFleming and on my class blog flemingkatelynedm310.blogspot.com

Sincerely,

Katelyn Fleming



Higher education for all?

For post two for this C4T, I read David’s post Too Many Universities? Too Many graduates? Too Much Debt? posted on April 22, 2013. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this post. Here David rambles more than he writes about how we have been programmed to go to college. Many think that if we don’t get a “quality education” via college, we will amount to nothing and have no job. This is something my friends and I discuss a lot and I really liked getting another opinion on the topic. I commented:

Hello David,

I think this is a very interesting thought. I am currently in college, and my friends and I have had this conversation many times. For years we were taught that if you didn't go to college, you wouldn't have a job. However, now I feel that because everyone goes to college, that a diploma and degree is increasingly becoming obsolete. In my experience, many hiring companies are looking for more field experience rather than a piece of paper that says you have passed so many classes.

Thank you for your post, I enjoyed reading it and contemplating it.

You can find me on twitter @KatelynLFleming and on my class blog flemingkatelynedm310.blogspot.com

Sincerely,

Katelyn Fleming

No comments:

Post a Comment