Sunday, April 7, 2013

C4T #3

Ideas and thoughts blog header

For this C4T assignment, I was to follow along with Dean Shareski’s blog, “Ideas and Thoughts.” The first post I read was I have the best job, posted on March 14th. In this blog post, Dean wrote about how his wife was jealous of his jobs because his calls “include lots of laughing, lost of encouragement and a bunch of new cool things you’re doing.” Dean goes around and teaches teachers and students about using technology in the classroom. With that, he does get a lot of praise, encouragement and good times. In his post, he discusses some of his recent travels. In one of them, he teaches 9 year olds how to make a green screen video. Towards the end of his post, Dean reminds everyone how great “thank you” is especially in the teaching field. I commented,

Hello Dean,
I am a student in EDM310 at the University of South Alabama. In EDM310, we are learning how to use all sorts of technology in the classroom. I have to say, it has been the most interesting and enjoyable classes I have taken so far. Your job sounds pretty amazing and fun. I am getting ready to have to create a video using a green screen, any tips?
My favorite part of this post was about thanking teachers. Even outside of teaching, “thank you” is an incredible phrase that can change the whole day. However, it isn’t used as regularly as it should, especially in the field of teaching. I always try to remember to thank my teachers for every little thing they do. As a future teacher, I cannot describe how wonderful it is to receive thanks as well.
Thank you for this post, and for reminding everyone to thank those who taught them.
You can find me on twitter @KatelynLFleming and on my class blog flemingkatelynedm310.blogspot.com
Sincerely,
Katelyn Fleming


Two weeks later, I returned to Ideas and Thoughts. On March 21st, Dean posted Return to ECMP. Here he talks about reevaluation. He begins by talking about Bob Sprankle and how he invited his students back to reflect on their experience in class. Dean says, “I’ve said for a long time that if we really want to assess school we need to include evaluation and assessments that happen years after a course. It’s not always practical or feasible but I think it’s an idea we need to pursue, particularly if we think the notion of “lifelong learning” is a thing.” I absolutely love this idea! At the end of his post, he embedded a video of a Google Hangout between him and a few of his former students where he got to find out how his class affected his students. I couldn’t watch the entire video, because my internet kept going out and wouldn’t load the entire video. But of the parts I was able to watch, Dean mentions that everyone has to find their “niche” of technology, and what suits them and makes them decide that it is worth doing in a classroom. I commented,
Hello Dean,
I think this is an incredible idea! I agree that something like this should be done in most classes. It is important to know that the students are learning what we want them to learn and how it has effected them. I love that you were able to do this with your students. As you said, it would be awesome to do from a selfish point of view. I think as a future teacher, it would be fun to find out from my students what about my teaching and class stuck out to them.
I really enjoyed this post, and would love to do something like this in my future.
You can find me on twitter @KatelynLFleming and on my class blog flemingkatelynedm310.blogspot.com
Sincerely,
Katelyn Fleming

No comments:

Post a Comment